Sunday, February 12, 2012

Eyes of the Stranger

"Look. We have some important business we think you can take care of."

"Well then, isn't it always?" Elizabet replied, nonchalant. "It always is, and it always gets done regardless." She carried an air of indifference in her tone, but also a tone of arrogance. "It's the money that tells me exactly how important."

"Well in your terms then, this is not worth your time. However, I may have an exception to the rule." The man stated. "We have cargo. Worth hundreds of millions. We'll pay you ten percent easy." The man looked smug.

"Well, with that much isk involved... I'm almost afraid to ask what I'm moving around. But I won't." Elizabeth crossed her arms. "What's the size of the cargo? We talking a Bestower's worth, a Providence's worth?" She threw out questions rapid fire.

"Two trips in a Providence should satisfy the needs of the job."

"Two?!?!" Elizabeth exclaimed. "You can't be serious!"

"I am dead serious." The man replied, smirking. "Is it too much for you to handle? If so, I can always find someone else to do it for me."

"No. We'll get it done. Although now I need to know what I'm moving, or at least the legality of it." She replied, regaining her composure. "And if we need to provide colleteral."

The man smiled, then started laughing. "No need for colleteral." Elizabeth's mouth opened, in shock and confusion. It must have shown because the man's laughter only grew louder and more boisterous.

... "We want you to move a few million veldspar."

"Well, if that's what you want, then we'll do it." Elizabeth replied, finally realizing her slack jaw and fixing it. "If you'll send me a contract?" She started walking away, intent on finishing the job as soon as possible. "I'll get started on it right away when it's formalized." She started walking to out of her golden tan quarters, those typical of Amarr stations and down the hall towards the landing pad where her pod sat, open and inviting, before she turned around.
"Excuse me," she said, as she realized something, and walked back to her quarters and out of the hall. "For being such a terrible host and walking off. Allow me to offer you the use of my place until I return, and make yourself at home."

The man replied quickly, "No need Miss Zateki, I'll just be leaving." He started walking away.

"Oh wait!" She cried out, forgetting an important detail she normally never missed. "Sir, what's your name?"

"Tassemet." He replied as he opened the door into the station and left.

Elizabeth quickly took off her clothes as soon as the man was gone, and near sprinted down the hall to her pod, the cold air of the station giving her goosebumps, the metal floor chilling her feet to near numbness. As she plugged the neural jack into the back of her neck and settled into her pod, her last physical feelings were of the pod doors closing her into blackness, and the warm sensation of the life-providing goo being pumped into her pod. As the external camera bots took over her sight, artificial sound was piped straight to her brain, and her pod left the station, she mentally thouht to herself, "Damn! I forgot to drink my coffee!"

As the pod flew out of the hangar bay and into space, a lone robot in her quarters sensed her thoughts. It scurried to the table picked up the still hot cup before making its exit again.


No comments:

Post a Comment