Sunday, September 18, 2011

Logistics Are a Pain

My appologizes for the long time since I last blogged, I haven't gotten much eve time (or time to myself) due to studies and job constraints


As I've said before, and I'll state again, nothing in nullsec is easy. I have been accused of leading people astray with how easy it seems to make isk out here; Let me highlight the reasons it isn't safe and easy, but dangerous and hard.

The first thing out here that is a pain is sometimes the lack of a station, or an outpost as they are known in 0.0. This means you can't dock, can't have a proper hangar, and defenitely not a proper ship bay. Until you get one placed down, which can cost upwards of 15+ billion, you have to live out of something called a player owned structure, or POS. The POS usually consists of a tower, gun and associated offense modules, shield hardners, and a corporate (key word there) hangar array, and a ship maintenence array. In this small area, you and about 10-15 of your corpmates will store all your items, ships and loots. It's not like a station where you have a personal hangar- depending on how everything is configured, you might have to share your hangar with everyone. This can be an inconvienience because everyone can and will have access to all your stuff. Not only does that mean they can use it, but in some cases, they will use it. In my current situation, we all have noctis' that we rotate between us, same with Hulks as well. Oh yeah, did I mention the limited space? 1.4mil per corporate hangar. 20mil m3 for the ship hangar. For 10 people. Do the math.

Another thing is logistics, or getting the stuff out to where I live. Most people simply just fly stuff about. Not so here. Out here, gate camps are nightmares. So instead we turn to the almighty jump freighters and carriers, and Rorquals. Jump Freighters move goods for us in mass quantities. Carriers carry our ships, and Rorquals are used to compress ore and do a mixture of the above two jobs. However, not everything can be brought in, some things have to be built on site and moved via freighter- and a freighter in nullsec is a very dangerous thing.

Oh, and did I mention the costs of living? So far, my wallet hasn't gone positive or negative, but imagine a world where people get items or make them and then mark them up 20% of jita price, just because they can. So you either buy something or you make it. And therein lies the problem- making things. In my current position I have no station, I live in a POS and we can't really make things, so we have to have them moved in the old fashioned way- via said methods above.

So that's how awesome nullsec is. So before one of my readers says such statements as, "Tass, I think you;re leading young sweet things to their deaths with your blog," I feel I have explained both the positives and negatives associated with nullsec. So, before jumping out here, consider both sides. It can be worth it if you are well skilled and properly prepared. For those who aren't the only thing that is certain is death and clone taxes.

I am prepared to do what I need to profit...

No comments:

Post a Comment